LAST UPDATED: 16 April 2020

Can you receive the Canada Emergency Response Benefit if you are not a citizen or permanent resident? 

To be eligible for CERB, you must reside in Canada and have a valid Social Insurance Number.  Workers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents – including temporary foreign workers and international students – may be eligible to receive the Benefit if they meet the other eligibility requirements.

Do I need to provide any documentation when I apply for CERB?  

You will need to provide your personal contact information, your Social Insurance Number and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements. You may be asked to provide additional documentation to verify your eligibility at a future date.

If I have begun or am already receiving Employment Insurance (EI) regular benefits, should I apply or reapply for CERB?

NO. If you are already receiving Employment Insurance benefits, you will continue to receive these benefits until the end of your approved claim period.  You cannot be paid EI and CERB benefits at the same time for the same period.

If I would have been entitled to less than the $500 per week under Employment Insurance, will I get the $500 CERB payment?

YES. Anyone who applies and qualifies for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit will receive $500 per week, regardless of what they may have been eligible to receive through Employment Insurance.

Is the Canada Emergency Response Benefit taxable? 

YES.  CERB is a taxable benefit, but until further notice from the government taxes will not be deducted immediately from CERB cheques.  Payments will need to be declared as income when individual taxes are filed.

single flower transparent.png
single flower transparent.png
transparent blossoms 2.png